Call for Designers
As the world moves into a more vibrant, dynamic, and open society, a challenge within the Graphic Design profession is to find opportunities to encourage young designers to make culturally, socially, and environmentally responsible design decisions. The Bridge project is an Internet-based exhibition and competition that allows graphic designers around the globe to exhibit their work, share design observations, and gain inspirations through cross-cultural dialogues. It promotes exchanges of ideas, dissemination of thoughts, and an understanding and appreciation of our emerging global culture.
This Bridge project is made possible with funding from Western Michigan University’s Support for Faculty Scholars Award (SFSA). It is a collaborative project with the vision for intercultural collaboration and intersection among graphic design students. Since synthesizing different values, beliefs, and ideologies by itself is a remarkable learning experience for young designers, we believe this initiative can effectively serve our global design community through sharing creative perspectives and building cultural bridges.
In addition, it is our hope that this project may stimulate and facilitate various cultural collaborations across geographic borders and thus provide designers with a deeper understanding of the important role visual communication plays in our ever-changing world.
- the Bridge is intended to spark a public and professional discourse about globally different values, beliefs, and ideologies.
- the learning experience is highlighted. All participants will submit their design work with a brief statement concerning their design objectives, process and observations.
- all submitted work will be exhibited on this site where designers can comment, discuss and get inspired by people of various countries, their cultures and traditions.
- our panel of judges is comprised of design professionals and educators.
- the Bridge design competition is open to graphic designers working with any medium.
Eligibility and Awards
The Bridge design competition is open to all individuals at least 18 years of age, and it is free to enter. All entries will be submitted to a selected jury of design judges, and all entries will be posted on this website. All entries will be judged on creativity, originality, concept development, implementation, as well as the use of design principles, composition, and aesthetics.
- First place (one): $100, the work will be placed in our formal Bridge gallery.
- Second place (six): $50, the work will be placed in our formal Bridge gallery.
- Third place (eight): $25, the work will be placed in our formal Bridge gallery.
All participants’ work will remain on our website as a merit award.
- Books & Jackets
- Packaging Design
- Digital Multimedia Design
- Environmental Graphics
Entry Deadline: June 30, 2012 (11:59 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time)
Online Submission and Specifications:
Individuals can each submit up to three different design projects.
All submissions must be in JPEG file format at 150 ppi, 1024x768px in size.
Steps for submitting your work:
- register an account on www.designthebridge.com.
- go to the Upload page.
- (required) type in your creative brief together with your name, your institution’s name, and your e-mail address.
- upload your image.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com